Last updated on January 2nd, 2018 at 12:00 am
Let’s take a walk on the historical side, today. 99Bitcoins got nostalgic and decided to remember the major moments of Bitcoin’s history. Here’s a list of the 10 most important events that have shaped the currency’s history until the present.
1. August 18, 2008: Bitcoin.org domain is registered
While the world didn’t even knew the word Bitcoin, even less what it was or the possibilities it could bring, this was one of the moments that would change it all.
2. October 31, 2008: a peer-to-peer electronic cash system
3. January 12, 2009: first Bitcoin transaction
The first Bitcoin transaction, in block 170, happened when Satoshi Nakamoto transferred Bitcoins to Hal Finney, a developer for PGP Corporation. Hall was also the first person to tweet about Bitcoin.
4. February 6, 2010: Bitcoin market established
The Bitcoin Market is a former cryptocurrency exchange web page owned and operated by dwdollar.
5. July 17, 2010: MtGox established
What is now the world’s biggest and most famous exchange platform started working in 2010, when cryptocurrency was just a baby.
6. November 6, 2010: Bitcoin economy passed $1 million
This was a historic day! Bitcoin was growing and this was thedefinitive proof.
7. February 9, 2011: Bitcoin reached parity with the US dollar, touching $1 per BTC
If only we knew the future, we wouldn’t be so surprised at the time. This was a huge milestone for Bitcoin!
8. July 22, 2011: Bitcoin Mobile is released
9. March 1, 2012: largest Bitcoin theft after a security breach at web host Linode
This attack became part of Bitcoin history as one of the major heists at the beginning of the cryptocurrency history. At the time, 43,000 BTC were stolen from Bitcoinica and 3,000 BTC from Slush.
10. September 27, 2012: formation of the Bitcoin Foundation
11. From March to April 2013: total Bitcoin market cap passes $1 billion and the $200 mark
With an astonishing growth – which preceded a scary crash, like most Bitcoiners remember -, Bitcoin prove that it had come to stay.