Last updated on June 8th, 2017 at 09:14 pm
Today’s post is a short one. It’s more of a list than an actual post. Due to the recent surge in Bitcoin’s price I decided to review what are the top 25 sites worldwide dealing with Bitcoin.
I ranked the sites according to the amount of traffic they receive each month. I’ve used the Alexa ranking algorithm for this purpose and Theme Punch’s list of the top 1million sites. Here are the results:
When picking out the sites for the list I faced a problem. Many sites are also dedicated to currencies other than Bitcoin so I didn’t know who actually qualifies to make the cut.
In the end I decided to include all sites that aren’t altcoins exchanges, ad networks or market data sites. While these sites do get a large amount of traffic most of it comes from 3rd parties using their services and APIs. Here are the sites that I’ve excluded ordered by size (largest first):
Some key insights from the results
- Poloniex is the largest exchange around (bigger than Coinbase, although not on the Bitcoin list)
- Coinbase is the largest Bitcoin exchange and wallet provider
- Bitcoin.com (owned by Roger Ver) is now larger than the official Bitcoin.org site
- FreeBitco.in is the largest Bitcoin faucet and the 3rd Bitcoin site in size worldwide
- 99Bitcoins is the 24th largest Bitcoin site around. RESPECT!
Things that have changed in the past 2 years
On July 2015 I’ve made a similar post for Bitcoinist (the post has since been moved to Bitcoin.com). That list had only 9 sites but the differences are apparent. Here are the main things that have changed:
- Coinbase outgrew Blockchain.info (went from #4 to #1)
- BTC-E’s popularity is diminishing (went from #5 to #10)
- There’s a considerable smaller amount of faucets in this list than there were 2 years ago. This is mainly due to the fact that Bitcoin’s price and the high transaction fees are making it very expensive to run a faucet.
- 99Bitcoins wasn’t even close to getting on the list :)
Keep in mind that rankings change daily so when you view this list the ranking may no longer be accurate. That’s why I added a link next to each site for its Alexa ranking. Also, if you think I’ve left a site out please let me know in the comment section below to I can update the list. TO THE MOON!!!
Latest posts by Ofir Beigel (see all)
- “JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon says bitcoin is a ‘fraud’ that will eventually blow up” – CNBC | $4,367.12 - September 12, 2017
- How to Buy Bitcoins if You’re a Noob – Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - September 12, 2017
- “Why China Crushed Bitcoin” – Forbes | $4,450.15 - September 9, 2017