As Bitcoin gets more and more famous every day, we decided to take a Forbes journalist experience and make our short list of curiosities of the digital currency world.
Remember when we talked about Kashmir Hill bold test here and here? The journalist tried to live one week only with Bitcoin and, although it wasn’t easy surviving with digital currency in San Francisco (USA), she learned a lot. In the end, she made a list of the 21 things she learned and we chose the top 5, the most interesting ones, to show you.
1. This experience would have been easier in Berlin
Table of Contents
Well, more specifically in Kreuzberg, the neighborhood with the highest concentration of merchants that accept Bitcoin. The street even has a bar where you can pay your drinks with digital currency.
2. It’s hard to live on Bitcoin with its volatility
It’s not easy to buy things with digital currency when its value is always changing. Kashmir Hill bought five Bitcoins and, in a week, they fluctuate between $140 and $90.
3. QR codes are extremely usefull when you’re using Bitcoins
Buying things with Bitcoins in-person means you have to use QR codes. And, apparently, these codes were never used for so many people like now.
4. Buying with Bitcoin helps you lose weight
Since there are few places that accept digital currency, you can’t buy greasy snacks or candies at the supermarket, so you end up avoiding spontaneous snacking. Also, you have to walk a lot, since there aren’t a lot of transports that accept Bitcoin.
5. An electrical engineer was the first person living on Bitcoin
Kashmir Hill wasn’t the first person to live only on Bitcoin. The first one was a 25-year-old electrical engineer, who went on a road trip from Connecticut to Los Angeles, in the summer of 2011, only using Bitcoin through the whole trip.
Latest posts by Maria Santos (see all)
- The 6 best Bitcoin mining software - April 24, 2016
- 5 Awesome Bitcoin stories shared by Redditors - October 16, 2015
- 9 Cryptocurrency-inspired games you should be playing - September 10, 2015